View post (New Build: Theories & Opinions invited)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/11/2009 6:31 am
Originally Posted by: Razbo
The inspirational sound for me is in Ain't Talkin Bout Love.[/quote]
He used the B&W Frank on that song. Listen for all the vibrato bar licks. He starts it with a slight delay or echo (probably his Echoplex) and kicks the MXR phaser on a couple of times.

It is unique in that it mixes an electric sitar in as well for the solo. He doubles the solo with it and pans it right which makes it easy to pick out in headphones because the first 3 albums all have EVH mixed hard left in the stereo field. The huge reverb from Templeman's mix of is almost all you can hear of EVH on the right side.

The celebrityrockstarguitars VH site page is fun for pix and info.
Originally Posted by: Razbo
But the first picture I have of The Shark is on any albums I think is is W & C F. Are you sure he played on the first?

Absolutely.

Listen to the first thing he does on RWTD: plucks the strings behind the bridge. Can't do that on a Fender style vibrato. Has to be a Tune-O-Matic stoptail bridge. And the tone, the metallic warmth of that riff is monumental. Same as YRGM. Listen to the little Jimmy Page-esque pickup switch trick he does at the end of the solo. His Shark had a functional pickup selector switch; the B&W Frank had none.

Further, there are no vibrato bar licks in either of those songs. And if you really listen to some of those tunes back to back you can hear the differences in guitar tone I mentioned earlier.
[QUOTE=Razbo]
It's been a while since I played these on my main stereo. Might be time for a recap. :)

Absolutely. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory