View post (Fat Fingers!)

View thread

wayne.thistlethwaite
wayne.thistlethwaite
11/09/2020 5:13 pm

I'm 63 picked up my daughter's acoustic guitar 4 years ago, the wife banished me to the back bedroom said I sounded terrible which I probably did . Being a builder my hands and fingers are shall we say chunkey and like others I've read on here I thought I'll never master this. Undaunted I persisted it took me a while but after a month or two the wife a actually said one night I can recognize a few tunes your playing, what do you think, I said . I recognize them she said but not so good.

Still I persisted 2 years later she walked in smiling I was playing the intro to hotel california her favorite song went straight into the cords she started singing and told me I was marvelous. I'm not I can knock out quite a few times now , one thing I have learned has been mentioned by a few on here don't beat yourself up if you mute the odd string if you are determined you'll find a way there are also alternative ways of playing chords use them but most of all do it for your enjoyment not everyone can be a virtuoso but if you love music you'll find your own style

Good luck