View post (Fat Fingers!)

View thread

mntano01
Full Access
mntano01
Full Access
04/18/2019 2:46 am

I’m resurrecting this thread instead of starting a new one.

I’m having the same issues. I have average to smallish hand but it seems like the pads of my fingers mute a string in whatever chord I try. I can play a clean Am and Em, but I can’t seem to play any other ones cleanly. I sat and tried to play a C & G building it finger by finger for just over an hour and managed one clean G. I’ve tried tweaking my fingers every which was possible to get a clean chord but it’s frustrating. Is it taking anybody else an inordinate amount of time to get a clean chord or is spending an hour to get one clean chord normal? Am I being too much of a perfectionist? Should I go ahead and play with a muted string while I learn better technique? I cannot get beyond the video that demonstrates the chords because I just can’t seem to get it right. I’ve read all the responses so I’m not sure what else I can expect that’s different, but I figured I’d try again. Is there any equipment fix (different strings) that would help or do I just keep plowing forward? I’m not having trouble playing the exercises with melodies, but chords are kicking me in the backside right now.

I’m playing and acoustic with an 1 and 11/16th nut.

Maybe I just need some encouragement.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: it’s the next day and I managed some clean C chords after making micro adjustments with the fingers. Patience, right?