View post (Best open jam session in your area???)

View thread

trebledamage
trebledamage
12/16/2001 4:55 am
Open jams are a wonderful way for musicians to get stage experience, hone their skills, and try out new ideas in front of a live audience. I'm interested to see what many of you have to say about the open jam sessions in your area, why you like them, and what you think they offer over other open jams.

I guess I'll start this one off. I frequently play at an open blues jam at a club in Philadelphia, PA called Warmdaddy's. The jam is held every Tuesday night. There is no cover to get in. There is no food or drink minimum. It is totally conceivable that a musician could just walk in, have a seat, and listen to music without spending a dime (this rarely happens since most order a drink or two and the food there is pretty good -- but it's nice to know that its possible). The place draws a decent sized crowd, but rarely gets so crowded that you can't get a seat at a table or at the bar. The jam attracts players of all ages and at all levels of ability. There is no fee to play. And most importantly, the people running the jam and the crowd are always very encouraging and appreciative of the people who get on stage to perform.
:cool: