View post (Since this is the Gear forum and all...)

View thread

nasum_human
nasum_human
07/17/2002 8:01 pm
I run one of two guitars, a home made thing botched together from the remains of a hohner rockwood strat copy, I basically tore it apart, made a new body for it out of some maple my father in-law sold to me, used the original neck, heavily sanded to a slimmer profile, sliced the annoying bulge off the bottom of the headstock and filed it to a point. For the electronics, I just wired two of the existing singlecoils in series for a nice humbucking tone, but fitted a flick switch behind the bridge to split the coils. I just put the volume pot back on and ignored the tone pots, (why bother?) it plays quite well all things considered, and this was my first attempt at customising a guitar (I've since made and sold 3 other guitars for friends)
My main guitar is one I bought from my brother, it's a BC Rich gunslinger pro, as standard, I messed around with the string height a little, and shimmed the neck, so it has a really fast low action and it just feels right

Amp wise, I only have 2 small practice amps, a 15 watt samick, that I've owned for around 10 years, and a 15 watt 'park' (by marshall) amp, which came as a package when my brother bought his BC rich. They're both solid state, although the park has a richer sound, more tube like than the samick. Probably due to the varying gain and overdrive setups they have more than anything

FX wise I used to own a Zoom GFX707, but I sold it, and swapped it for a bunch of stomp boxes, I use a Boss AC-1, and a DOD YJM308 preamp pedal (this is a killer pedal, yngwie malmsteen uses one) as well as a Boss phaser and a morley wah!

For playing out live, I would borrow my friend's Marshall JCM DSL stack, which I once managed to knock off the stage of a small club! I always wanted one, but expenses of being a father of 2 (soon to be 3) always prohibited me from acheiving my dreams of owning a GOOD rig!

Update: I just read about a tech21 double drive pedal, which I just HAVE to own, it's an analogue circuit, which emulates both class A and class A/B amps, it's just great (And being tech21 the tone is about as close to valves as you're gonna get)

[Edited by nasum_human on 07-18-2002 at 08:55 PM]
guns dont kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they've got a gun)