View post (GT Solo Assignment - July 2008)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
07/21/2008 2:21 am
Originally Posted by: equatorThanks for the comments on the BT bro. :cool: .
It was well deserved, dude. I still have the blues BT you were nice enough to send me- damn that AbMaj7 chord! I think I've been able to deal with the C# (key word is *think*, lol). Originally, I was thinking of giving my solo a flamenco kind of feel- and this is what I enjoy talking about: the thought processes the contributors were going through when they recorded their stuff. Like I said in the June BT assignment, I was thinking.."metal? FAST". That's why I was ripping away as fast as I could- actually, in one of my takes, I had a phaser effect going, and my son was saying "faster!" so I was ripping along at something like 600bpm- it might be on the soundclick site; I called it need4speed, w/out Light's BT, I just did it for my son. Anyway, right now, my mind is locked into an opening riff I've played enough times where I don't even know if it's harmonically correct anymore, lol. I'm still a play by the seat of your pants kind soloist anyway. But I know you have good ears, equator. Part of my solo is (I hope I'm not messing up anyone's head by saying this) always resolving to A natural for some reason. I know that A is the 5th of D-7, so if I keep resolving back to A, what mode am I in? I'm lousy at theory, but have been studying more. At first, I didn't know what the heck I was doing, all I know is that it *sounded* to my ears, "right". But when I was dissecting the theory behind it, all I could think was, "I keep coming back to A, am I "going modal? If so, what is it? Then that throws me off because I don't like to think too much. I was proud of myself when I figured out the harmonic minor thing on my own. So, right now, I THINK I know where my fingers should be going, but in the end, I'll do what I always do- just close my eyes and PLAY. That's what's so cool about this BT thing; no more jamming along with pre-recorded stuff. Again, great job on the BT, equator. Something so "simple", yet challenging at the same time. I like stuff like this because it challenges me as a player. It's all good. All you guys are great.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)