View post (GT Solo Assignment - July 2008)

View thread

mpaq
mpaq
07/20/2008 11:07 pm
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoI'm trying to get something out, but time has been really tough this month. I see someone used a nylon string- at first, I was thinking of using a steel string acoustic/electric, but that may seem like I'm stealing someone else's idea- I haven't listened to anyones work yet, as I don't want to be influenced. I'm just beginning to learn Ableton, but I may have to resort to Audacity again. There's been an incredible heat wave here in the northeast, and the necks on a couple of my guitars have warped, and I've been spending time adjust the truss rods and getting the intonation right again. Well, I have about 10 days. Hope to have something in. Great work on the BT equator!

Go ahead and play whatever/however you want...the whole point of this thread is to share ideas, not claim them....nobody on here is that uptight.
I use Audacity as well, it works well for basic recording...I dont use any of the effects other than maybe the compressor, and its mp3 encoding never sounds right to me so I save as a wave file then import to Wavelab and then render to mp3. (both programs use the Lame encoder so im not sure why Audacity doesnt seem to sound as good with the equivalent settings). I also have Reaper but compared to Audacity its much more advanced and my older PC chokes on it.
I record my guitar straight into a POD, through a mixer to a 24 bit soundcard. Probably not the best setup, but it sounds pretty good, and is easy and hassle free.