View post (Pick choices?)

View thread

ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
06/27/2008 1:36 pm
JD, that interesting. I learned something new there...I honestly just assumed that most, if not all country pickers used very thin picks. I would've never envisioned you using something in the 1+mm range. Most country, bluegrass pickers, just seem to have that "snappy" sound to there playing, that I typically would associate with thinner picks. Interesting for sure.

Originally Posted by: sixpicker Since I started lightening up so to speak, I've loosened up, and been able to pick up more speed.

JD

LOL...Pretty much THE answer to everything isn't it. More effort does not always mean better results. ;)
At least not when the "effort" involves more straining & tension...I battle that all the time, the whole struggle to stay loose while picking up speed, etc.
I always think that I need to whack the heck outta the strings to get it to project, then I'll watch someone like Paul Gilbert, who looks like he's barely even grazing the strings, yet the notes just *pop* out like he's snapping them. And he does it with that horrible, treble heavy, 1/4 distorted tone that he uses in all of his instructional vids.
Gilbert actually uses those Orange .60mm Tortex picks, which recently lead me to start practicing with them. I can't really use them effectively for like recording or anything yet, since I'm so used to picks in the 1mm-1.5mm range and these .60s just feel sooo...flippy....LOL, for lack of a better term. :D

Interesting comments so far...very cool stuff!

Don