View post (GT Solo Assignment - June 2008)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
06/25/2008 9:25 pm
It's been a nightmare for me so far. First time I heard the track, I already had some riffs going in my head. Then, you've seen my probs with recording. The drums make me want to shred away (NOT my forte), and I want to keep the "panicky/rushed" feel going. But everytime I try to play over the BT, it's so far in the background, I find I'm really only playing with the drums. I just can't find a way to keep the BT level equal to my solo. Then my hands were cramping from trying to play too fast, so I tried slowing everything down by 1/2 (something you can do with Toneport's Gearbox, the player and modeler), and tried to find a theme to create. Messed around with harmonics, even worked out a few simple sweeps- another thing I've never really done. I'm playing mostly in...I guess you can call it Am and resolving down to B natural (there is a B in the bass, no?)- don't really know about what mode I'm in- I'm just playing what sounds right to me. Sometimes I throw an F natural, sometimes an F#. But everytime I go back to try to lay a track down, I can't get rid of the sonic vomit I uploaded, and I can't get it out of my head. I tend to space out when soloing, then I get these crazy ideas out of nowhere...for some reason, a U2 tune popped in my head, and you know the guitar player for them...Andy Summers (?)...I always liked his rhythm playing, so I started playing a fast frantic rhythm over the bass, something like an Em, Am, Bm- but since I couldn't really hear the bass well, I couldn't tell if I was harmonically correct.

ANYWAY, it's been challenging (aside from my recording problems)- I just love the drums, and at first I didn't like how it went straight into the tune without an intro, but that makes it all the more challenging. And the fact that the BT is relatively short, you have to say what you want in a small amount of time. I even tried playing against it with an acoustic, lol. I spent all of last week about 5 hrs. a night trying to get something decent out, but I decided to give it and my hands a rest. My fretting hand is cramped up like a claw, and my Ibanez is all out of tune. So maybe I'll go back to it by this weekend. Anyway, it's been fun as hell; it's been so long since I've played "with" anyone, I'd like to put up something half decent. "Sonic Vomit"- hey, I think I'll start a band called that.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)