View post (GT Solo Assignment - June 2008)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
06/15/2008 1:41 pm
Originally Posted by: sensibleanarchy
I'll be going to a Guitar Center later possibly and maybe look for a cheap usb interface or the StealthPlug as you recommended. Will let you know. Thanks.

Hey sensibleanarchy and to anyone who may buy the Line 6 Toneport UX1. I bought the UX1 at a Guitar Center: There's a 15% restocking fee if you return it, but if you unlock the Ableton software, you can't return it at all. I was surprised the salesman was honest enough to tell me that. Also, you can only have the Ableton recording software on ONE computer.

I opted for the UX1 because it was $10 cheaper than the StealthPlug, and the salesman recommended it because it had lots more modeling sounds as far as effects and different cabinet choice. That's the good news.

The bad news is, if you're not somewhat pc saavy, you'll NEVER be able to install Gearbox, the GUI that enables you to even use the thing. As part of the setup, you need some native Windows drivers, and you get prompted for a l6tpux1.dll- but where to find it? Even Line 6's support forum doesn't answer the question properly.

Also, you don't hear anything out of your speakers, you either have to have a set of headphone with a 1/4" jack, or an adapter that accepts a mini-jack.

Now the possibly bad news: You wont be able to record ANYTHING unless you're able to to send the output signal from the head phone jack or, using rca jacks from the outputs on the rear of the unit- how many people have pc's with rca line ins?

Anyway, I'm able to do it by feeding the headphone signal (using a guitar cable with a 1/4" jack to a 1/4" line in I have on my soundcard).

I got fedup trying to install on my desktop after 5 hrs, then tried it on my laptop which took about 15 mins. It was able to find the .dll file on its own, but that's where I discovered the recording problem. My only option is to get a line with 2 male minijack plugs to feed the signal from the unit's headphone signal out (which would need the adapter to accept the mini-plug) to my laptop's mic input. The info on the box is very misleading- "Complete Hardware and Software Recording Solution"- not quite.

Anyway, now that I have everything up and running, it does sound great, but there seems to be some latency problems. I'm going to see what processes I can kill to take some of the load off the cpu. If you don't understand anything I've said- DON'T GET IT. I read a Harmony Central user give a bad review because he wasn't able to get the thing running at all. The needed .dll is in the Toneport folder, but you're not going to get if the Gearbox installation is incomplete, which was the case on my desktop. I kept loading the .dll from the Windows system 32 folder which is the incorrect version. If I didn't notice this on my laptop, I'd be heading back to GC to return the damn thing.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)