View post (Satch....)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
06/03/2008 1:46 pm
Originally Posted by: SpedzarHey Silimtao,

You know what? Speed doesn't matter. Some guitarists are drawn to music that has some fast runs but to most people (that aren't kidding themselves) it's only about the emotion of the music on a personal level - when all the notes in the world don't mean a thing it could be one special moment in a short solo by some obscure dude that you connect with.

For me it was the title track of an album called "Aborescence" that I heard in the mid 90's - the band is Ozric Tentacles and the guitarist is Ed Wynne.

Heya Spedzar,

Yeah, that's what I mean- alot of these guys are great technically, but after awhile, the notes just become a blur, and after awhile, it just becomes boring to me. Even someone like SRV; I've seen him in concert a few times, and most of his shows were super fast paced, and all I could think was, damn, slow it down and play a slow blues cuz I'm getting a headache. But I get alot more from a SRV solo because I can feel the emotion behind it.

That's why I don't like most of the shredders/speedsters I've listened to. Lots of notes, no emotion- to me, at least. Don't get me wrong, I'm a pretty fast picker and it's fun to play fast. But when I'm really zipping along, I just feel like I'm playing scales (I make no claims to having the musical talent of any of the above), and I'm not saying anything. Not that I don't like throwing in a fast run in now and then, but all the time? Nah, just not my style, no matter how fast I'm able to pick.

I really like flamenco players like Paco de Lucia though. Lots of speed AND emotion..
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)