View post (Satch....)

View thread

Spedzar
Spedzar
06/03/2008 12:37 pm
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoFirst heard of Satch in the early 80's. My nephew turned me onto Malmsteen. Hard as I try, I just don't get it. Too many notes. Vai, I heard about in the 70's- I could relate more cuz it sounded more like the rock I like. Dunno what he sounds like now, or in the last 20+ years. I have Satch's first album on cassette; bought it cuz he got such rave reviews in something like Guitar Player. After one listen, all I could think of was..????

Dunno, maybe it's my age and the era of rock I grew up with. I just can't relate to these guys. One guy I really dislike is Batio- sounds like he's just running a lot of modal stuff. I'm listening to more metal to get a feel of what they're about. But I'm still not a great fan of solos at a million miles/hr. Maybe it's the Alzheimer's setting in on my old brain, but I just don't get most of these speed demons. Technique-wise, yeah they've really ramped it up alot. But speed for the sake of speed just doesn't cut it for me.

Can anyone point me to a particular tune they like? I'm not too old to be converted. But no Batio. Seen him on youtube. Does nothing for me.

Hey Silimtao,

You know what? Speed doesn't matter. Some guitarists are drawn to music that has some fast runs but to most people (that aren't kidding themselves) it's only about the emotion of the music on a personal level - when all the notes in the world don't mean a thing it could be one special moment in a short solo by some obscure dude that you connect with.

For me it was the title track of an album called "Aborescence" that I heard in the mid 90's - the band is Ozric Tentacles and the guitarist is Ed Wynne.
Spedzar - "the sound of one hand tapping"...