View post (Satch....)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
06/03/2008 3:18 am
First heard of Satch in the early 80's. My nephew turned me onto Malmsteen. Hard as I try, I just don't get it. Too many notes. Vai, I heard about in the 70's- I could relate more cuz it sounded more like the rock I like. Dunno what he sounds like now, or in the last 20+ years. I have Satch's first album on cassette; bought it cuz he got such rave reviews in something like Guitar Player. After one listen, all I could think of was..????

Dunno, maybe it's my age and the era of rock I grew up with. I just can't relate to these guys. One guy I really dislike is Batio- sounds like he's just running a lot of modal stuff. I'm listening to more metal to get a feel of what they're about. But I'm still not a great fan of solos at a million miles/hr. Maybe it's the Alzheimer's setting in on my old brain, but I just don't get most of these speed demons. Technique-wise, yeah they've really ramped it up alot. But speed for the sake of speed just doesn't cut it for me.

Can anyone point me to a particular tune they like? I'm not too old to be converted. But no Batio. Seen him on youtube. Does nothing for me.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)