View post (Satch....)

View thread

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
05/16/2008 5:52 am
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanInterestng you say that, I saw Yngwie a while back and although he is a different style I reckon he is just as talented as Satch. Same thing though, after about 45 mins or so it all just went off in the same direction. The solos as per the cd's were incredible, amazingly executed with flawless technique but he spent a lot of time heading off on tangents that sounded the same... Saw Ozzy last year with Zakk Wylde on guitar, have to say it was the biggest let down ever. Zakk was terrible (considering he is so highly regarded). His crowd pleaser solos were the same formula every time. Pick a blues scale, then play a 6 note exercise pattern... start at 100bpm then build it up to 180bpm, then play the exact same thing but add a wah pedal... boring! Not saying he is a bad guitarist but I was way underwhlemed, that plus the fact that there were about 4 other guitar traks playing in the back ground over the pa. The squells were multi layered to the point that you could see he was playing something different at times (I was in the front row). Oh well, there's always Vai, havent seen him yet but I hear he is brilliant live... anyone here see him yet?

I think a G3 might actually be a lot better than just one of them alone.. I haven't been to see either Vai or Satch or Ygnwie solo but I think the fact that they each have a little play separately, doing the best of their stuff, then come and play together.. I think it would be more enjoyable... possibly.

The best live show, of a guitarist, I have seen to date is the first time I went to see Deep Purple at the Sydney Entertainment Centre. He was just in the zone that night and it all sounded so good and new and perfectly balanced. Steve Morse is a great player.. in fact I would love to see a G3 with Satch, Vai and Morse.. I have gone off Satch a lot lately.. but in combination with another guitarist, I think he would do well.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog