View post (String skipping, hybrid picking and overall speed)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
05/30/2008 5:06 pm
Hi Hjorvard,

How's the picking going? Sorry I haven't posted on my take on hybrid picking- lots of bs stuff going on in my life right now, and I don't want to give a convoluted/confusing response.

But for now, for a hybrid picking exercise, try this: bar the B & E strings at the 12th fret with your forefinger. Put your pinky on the 15th fret of the high E.

Now, pick the B string, then pluck the fretted 15th fret on high E (G) with your middle finger, pull-off with your pinky to sound the high E, then pick the B string again. You're only picking the B with the pick. That's the the beginning of the Sultans of Swing solo I was talking about. Hope that's enough to get you started.

I remember your first post now- when you mentioned your neuromuscular disorder. I don't know how much this will help, but how conscious are you of how you breathe? Lots of players tend to hold their breath when they're ripping along, which causes more overall body tension. With your condition, I'd think the less overall body tension may help. Are you familiar with diaphragmatic breathing? It's a more effective way of breathing. You use your diaphragm to pull air in. Check out these google hits:http://www.google.com/search?q=diaphragmatic+breathing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

It can help you achieve overall body relaxation (ideally). I have a back injury with some nerve damage, and sometimes my fretting hand goes into involuntary tremors. Plus I've broken my pinky numerous times so I can't fret certain chords cuz of the weird angle my pinky is curled at. I'm sure my "disabilities" aren't as serious as yours, but where there's a will, there's a way. I'll try to get a proper post down or maybe upload something on hybrid when I'm feeling better. Let me know how it goes.

PS to Kevin Taylor if you're reading this: hiccups are caused by spasms in your diaphragm. If you learn DB, you can learn how to relax your diaphragm, and poof, you can get rid of 'em in about 30 seconds. Well, at least I can.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)