View post (String skipping, hybrid picking and overall speed)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
05/16/2008 5:17 am
When I said, "Over time, make the "circle" smaller and smaller, until the circle is shaped more like an ellipse (). The tighter it is, the more quickly you can return to the string, assuming you're doing a run on one string." I didn't mean that circular picking for speed is restricted to one string only. As Kevin pointed out, you need to pick as cleanly and efficiently as possible. So, say your doing a run on the A string, then hop over to the G, you don't want to lift the pick WAY OVER the D, you want to keep the pick as close to the strings as closely as possible without actually hitting the one(s) you don't want to hit, and this is where muting will come into play, as Kevin pointed out- just in case you strike a string you really don't want to ring, at least it will be dead. But the key is to start out slowly and work your way up. You have a lot going on- picking, fretting, muting (with either the left OR right hand), and getting everything in sync.

I also like to have very little of the pick sticking out because I feel I pick more cleanly, and it's also a good way to get artificial harmonics- if you kinda scrape the string you're picking with the edge of your thumb, you'll get those overtones. I googled circular picking for the first time yesterday and got lots of hits. On some other guitar forums, players complained that it was very difficult; maybe it is when it's new to you. I really don't remember. When I first read about circular picking about 30 yrs. ago, it just came kinda naturally to me- it was an "AHA!" moment for me, cuz straight up/down wasn't working for me. I also read that Petrucci circular picks, among many other speedsters.

I know lots of players here are into shredding, but I'm not into playing fast simply for the sake of playing fast. Far's I'm concerned speed picking is just mechanics most anyone can accomplish. I'll take a sweet, slow BB King bend over speeding any day. I just don't feel a lot of soul with most shredders. 'Cept for flamenco players- Paco de Lucia blows me away (and he doesn't use a pick), he plays a million miles/hr with a lot soul. Eh, it's late and I'm blathering as usual.

If you want to see hybrid picking in action, go to youtube and do a search for Steve Howe playing "Clap"- you'll see him using his pick and other fingers. It's a fun rag-time kinda tune- I've been trying to learn that tune ever since I first heard it, and still can't get it down. I meant to post my take on hybrid picking, but it got too late. Lemme know how you feel about circular picking so far. Just take it slooooow. But hybrid picking isn't only for ragtime stuff. Mark Knopfler is a hybrid picker (well, you really can't call him a hybrid picker, as he doesn't use a pick at all). Listen to the live version of Sultans of Swing- the solo he does near the end, he's really ripping. It took me forever to learn that solo until I found out he basically finger-picked picked that. Now, I hybrid pick that solo, so learning the use of my other fingers when using a pick really helped. I wouldn't call him a shredder, but he plays pretty damn fast, but he wouldn't have his unique sound and speed if he wasn't finger-picking. Hybrid picking is basically finger picking with a pick. Search for the live version on youtube. I'll try to post my take on hybrid when I get a chance, unless you get what I mean by now. Later.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)