View post (Chord progressions and technicality, Mercyful Fate style!)

View thread

Hjorvard
Hjorvard
05/12/2008 6:10 am
You know, it's funny you mention that, because for a little while now I have been trying that out. You see, I have been realy lazy with it but for a few years I have studied basic music theory here and there so I try to remain structured. But much like the english language, music theory has many exceptions to the rules, and one must always remember that the basis of all music is emotion. So I have been trying to visualize and "feel it" rather than being so methodical.

As far as Carcass goes, I'll admit there was some catchy songs on there but it just never appealed to me. Heartwork did though, mixing technicality, speed and catchiness. King Diamond and Mercyul Fate are great if yoiu like melodic, atmospheric music. In mercyful fate the guitarist where hank shermann and michael denner who largelu took influence from michael schenker of scorpions fame. Andy Larocque of King Diamond does as well, but he has a nice use of techniques and the whammy bar. Atheist in my opinion is timeless. Necrophagist is good at what they do but it does get bland. Now Nocturnus is an incredible band. I've been wanting to get ahold of that album.