View post (Chord progressions and technicality, Mercyful Fate style!)

View thread

Superhuman
Superhuman
05/11/2008 11:07 pm
PS I loved the Swansong album by Carcass, thought Iron Fist was the best track along with Black Star. It's a lot simpler than their previous stuff but the songs are better constructed and a lot easier to listen to, plus the solos were brilliant (Heartwork was also a cool album). Never heard anything by King Diamond or Mercyful Fate.... I remember hearing Atheist about 15 years ago, thought they were pretty good at the time. If you havent already heard it, there is some pretty amazing rhythm guitar work on the most recent Necrophagist album. Although the solos are VERY well played they don't offer anything more than long strings of swept arpeggios with no particular direction or musicality... very little vibratto or use of harmonics either which makes them kind of sterile. I'm hopfull that the next album will have moved up a notch to combine the technique and speed with better music. Thresholds by Nocturnus is the best technical metal album I've ever heard though, really amazing gutiar work and far out sci-fi themed track with keyboards. Worth pickng up a copy.