View post (Playing guitar through Active monitors)

View thread

mpaq
mpaq
04/16/2008 2:51 pm
Need to decide between buying an amp or using the money for a pair of active monitors. I never play live, all i ever do is play at home through a Pod and headphones, wired through a mixer with a PC and MAudio 24 bit card. Im learning the recording part as i go, and have Reaper installed now, but also use Audacity for its simplicity in recording. As i get into a more full featured DAW, I thought I should get a pair of monitors for mixing that I could also use for occasional amping of my guitar. Its a pain to always use headphones, not to mention the colouring of the sound.
I dont need anything major, im thinking the Yamaha HS50's. The Pod would act as my preamp to give me the cabinet emulations (i know not the best, but good place to start)....will the monitors hold up over time assuming i dont drive them too loud? My local music store cautions against this, however I have a friend who has been doing this with no problems and it sounds great. One way or the other, I will need the monitors anyway for mixing....