View post (Fastest guitarist you know!!!)

View thread

u10ajf
u10ajf
01/18/2002 5:57 pm
You guys heard of rusty cooley or Tony McAlpine? I haven't heard much Michael Romeo (just a little on a brilliant Rush Tribute album) and I was pretty gobsmacked, I've heard some George Bellas samples and I was also fairly stunned, there's a hairs breadth in quality between these top of top players, it just depends what you like I don't think there will ever be a time (as there was in Hendrix's day) when one player will hold the monopoly on technical abillity. There's a lot of talent out there but I very much doubt anyone is physically capable of playing anon-chromatic run at a pace greater than 30 notes/second, 466? How many times a second can anyone physically move a plectrum across 6 strings? 466/6=78 times/ second! I don't think anyone could tremolo pick one string at half that speed, forget full strums! Pick tapping perhaps, two notes for the price of one? Still doubt it. If there are that many notes in the sample then some cheating is going on, some delay or it's been sped up and pitch shifted back down. I don't want to put a dampner on an interesting thread but who needs to play faster than Malmsteem (and lets face it we're talking about a measly fractionally greater pace)? If you can, then I don't feel sorry for you (well maybe a little.. don't you get time to eat, sleep, go to the loo) but do your family still recognise you or have they died without you noticing, perhaps you couldn't hear them pleading with you to stop? Above a certain pace it's a blur, the notes become superfluous. The pick attack would sound longer than the string. Surely the great thing about that level of technique would be that it would give you the coordination to play more complicated things at a more human pace?
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?