View post (Jay Turser Guitars)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
03/02/2008 3:36 pm
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsI have had very good luck with old Yamaha guitars on eBay. Their quality control was such that there was no such thing as a 'bad one'. I don't know about the new ones, but I suspect that if you find one you like in a shop, then one of the same model on eBay will be just as good. The quality is not as good now as it used to be, as a result of keeping the prices reasonable, but I'm sure they're every bit as consistent as they ever were.

I have a few old Washburns that I don't plan to part with, most of them bought on eBay. Again, I don't know how the new models compare to their mid-eighties production, but they're probably worth a look-in.

YMMV, but my most expensive guitar is a 1985 Yamaha SA-2100 that cost me all of US$1400, delivered to my door. I've played ES-335s and Sheratons that weren't as good. And they cost a lot more.

Morning, Lord
I've had very good luck on ebay. I bought yet another Strat, MIM w/noiseless pups, and it looks near mint. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220205371703&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=012
Not my color, but when I see a guitar, something almost mystical comes over me. I'm really enjoying the MIM Strat I bought on ebay. My American needs a professional setup, I think. It has a strange truss rod system, and I don't want to damage it. My Tele hasn't seen the light of day in quite awhile, but I'm hanging ALL my guitars out in my living room.

I have an old Yamaha acoustic- can't remember where/how I got it, but it's about 20+ yrs. old. I've abused the poor thing to death, but it still holds a tuning pretty well. I gave it to my niece who I was supposed to teach guitar to, but now that I've moved, I don't have the time. Maybe she'll give it back :o

I was just intrigued by the Tursers because they're all over ebay, and LOOK really good. But after some research, I believe a lot of sellers are selling B stock Tursers (hence the cheap prices); There's another no-name knockoff vendor named New York Pro- I bought a cheap acoustic for my daughter that cost $100, and it plays great (of course she has no interest in playing anymore- something tells me the Epi SG Deluxe I bought for my son will be another wall ornament, but it plays very well for a cheapie.) A mom and pop music store I go to have really cool guys running the place sell NY Pros, so if I want to go off-brand, at least I can test drive the thing. But I think I have to hold off on my guitar spending for awhile. Just wanted a take on the Tursers- unless I'm able to try one out...
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)