View post (Music Freak)

View thread

Superhuman
Superhuman
04/13/2008 7:04 pm
He there,
I've been in a load of bands over the years - I've been on national radio, tv and on a few cd's as guest/session player. Now that I'm married with kids my solo project is where its at - everything is 100% mine which is a refreshing change from the band situation.
That said, I have been in some great bands that had some time in the spotlight My advice is that if you want a band then you should consider having it YOUR band. Eg you call the shots, you produce the music and direction and veto ideas that sound bad. This doesnt meen you have to put your ego on a pedestal but a band is just like anything else, without a manager or a 'head' it will lack direction and decision making power.
Sounds a bit selfish but most of the bands that make it have one very talented musician that controls the music and produces the overall direction. You don't have to run around like the boss but if you put the band together then you should own the name and have control over the direction.
I've been in too many bands that were going in different directions and one in particular that was pure virtuoso that had amazing potential but we never really went past a song or two and load of jam sessions because nobody took control and structured the sessions and said 'this is what we are going to do'.
Just something else worth considering, taken from personal experience!