View post (Elite 80 Power Amplifier)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/22/2008 3:24 am
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanGreat review Kevin, cool looking piece of gear too. I agree 100% re using high quality cables and even patch leads when it comes to preserving sound quality on high end gear. Have a Mesa Boogie simul class 2:90 all tube power amp myself - the tube experience is so much better than my other Samson servo poweramp. Love the exposed tubes on your new piece of gear - have you tried running a guitar preamp through that then into a speaker simulator for DI recording? You really notice a massive increase in quality from that route - even running a modeller through that signal path will sound 100% better. Have fun with it!

Yup, that's actually what I spent the few days doing...rewiring the whole studio with higher end equipment and cables, and replacing my Luxman amp with this one to power the front monitors. The plan is to run my guitar through the Boss GT-8 using the shortest and cleanest signal path.
Next step is to move into doing surround sound which probably means buying a couple more of these suckers to power the back speakers and subs. Definitely fun :)

And yeah, most people aren't even aware of the difference in sound between mid-range, 'consumer' brand audio products and truly high end gear so obviously, they can't hear the difference that decent cables make.
It gets a little frustrating sometimes when people vehemently argue that cables don't make any difference.