View post (Chords vs. Single Notes)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
02/21/2008 3:19 am
Originally Posted by: jsquiersThanks, Silimtao.
Very welcome.

I have a lot to learn about chords and chord progression.

That makes both of us! I've been working a lot on my lead playing, so I'm thinking more about what notes go over what chords, etc. I think my response to you was kind of along those lines. Really don't know how helpful it was, other than food for thought. Search for "Tears in Heaven" on youtube- hopefully you'll find the instructional video where the guy is accompanying himself. Where I was coming from was to make accompnying yourself more interesting- someone else mentioned finger picking (or hybrid picking, when you're playing with a pick and your middle and ring fingers). How about you try this, just as an exercise- instead of just strumming your way through the song you're working on, in some parts, simultaneously hit the bottom string (usually the root of the chord in song books), and at the same time plucking the top 2 strings of the chord with your middle and ring fingers, mess around with that to make it interesting.

Thankfully, it seems I have found the right place to do so.

You got that right! The members and instructors here are great, and just reading the posts motivates me. I'm an instructor in a different discipline, and I always say, I learn by teaching. I don't know if I helped you at all, but like I said, it's food for thought. Take from it what you will, then make it your own. Most of all just enjoy the process! :)
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)