View post (Chords vs. Single Notes)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
02/19/2008 2:58 am
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelHey, and welcome.
Sometimes people hold a chord shape but pick one string or note at a time out of the chord shape. This can be an efficient way of holding many notes down with one hand position.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes for you. Best of success learning. Have fun with it!

If I can build on this idea- once the chord progression has been established, the listener already is "hearing" it unconsciously, so, especially when accompanying one's self, you can add single notes, or fills, to make it more interesting. I would say those single notes should be notes that would normally be in the chord (to keep things relatively simple), or to make it interesting, an extension of that chord- let your ears be your guide. Or play 2 notes of the chord and leave the root out- the listener usually hears the root. Make sense?

I'd like to give you a "hello and welcome" also. Best place to talk music, and great instructional vids, and the members are great here. And, as CS said, have fun!
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)