Strats-Mexican vs. US made

Silimtao
Silimtao
02/15/2008 7:58 pm
Thank your for the info Lord. I've printed out the picture. Hopefully, I'll find one like that. Am I able to upload pictures also? I don't see anything that would allow that (guess I should look in help.) If I'm able, maybe I'll upload a pic of my MIM Strat.

Thanks again! Yes, I'd say this was a happy ending!

Was able to get a whammy bar this evening; going to restring it now. Also bought a Boss CS-3 compressor (used for $69.)
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 1
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/16/2008 4:54 am
Put D'Addario's on it- 10's. The intonation actually got better. The trem springs were a little too tight, so I had to mess with that a bit. Oh, I didn't mention the strings are strung through the bridge from beneath. The trem bar is angled upwards near the top about 35 degrees, and I find I can rest my wrist against it and just push with my wrist; very convenient. When I angle the bar down, I can actually rest my wrist on it. The tone is a lot better now with the new strings; the tone is bright but not TOO bright, which is what I expected, and what I wanted. Very, very happy with it!

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/16/2008 6:23 am
Originally Posted by: Silimtao... Very, very happy with it!

Dazza niiice!

Now please read >this< thread and then post up a proper review.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/16/2008 4:52 pm
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsDazza niiice!

Now please read >this< thread and then post up a proper review.

Your wish is my command, m'Lord! :p

# 4
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/18/2008 9:58 pm
Lordathestrings, I got a tester exactly like the one you have in the picture. I first tested it on a (new) powerstrip linked to another- got an "open ground" message on the LEDs. I turned the PS on an off, then test all the outlets- they tested fine.

There's no way I can test the amp personally, so I'm still running on battery power. I personally think while do the setup, I may have dislodged a wire in my old Strat, or something was up with the loose sheath on the guitar cable. I really don't think it's the amp- or VERY unlikely.

So, I'll play it safe for now. Thanks much for your guidance.

# 5
chrisdalydotnet
LicksandTricksdotcom
chrisdalydotnet
LicksandTricksdotcom
05/29/2008 7:52 pm
In 2006 the made in Mexico start was up graded with extra large frets a shielded pickgaurd and a thicker tremolo block. (I believe the larger tremolo block was recently made standard this year in American strats. There's a guitar store in Clearwater, Florida where they have just about every model Fender makes aside from special orders. If you going to keep the original pickups or especialy like the american saddles or absolutly need that 22 fret get an American. Otherwise if your going to chang the pickup and don't need the 22 fret there isn't that much different. I have an American Highway fat stat with a Duncan Jeff Beck, a special Edition ash start that I installed a hot rail in and a $400 dollar Mexican fat start I installed a Duncan Screamin' Demon also with the shieled pickgaurg you can get a great Yngwie like tone from the stock front single coil. They all play pretty much the same, but the one with the most tone is by far the Mexican start with the George Lynch Scremin' demon.
I've been playing 30 years and also own 6 Ibanez, 2 Jacksons, 2 Charvels one Schecter and 3 Esp solid body guitars. I do personaly prefer the ESP and Fenders over the others.
# 6
Silimtao
Silimtao
05/30/2008 3:33 pm
Hi chris-

When you say "larger frets", do you mean jumbo (as in thicker) frets? I have a 2006 MiM Strat, and the fretwire is lots thinner than my 1984 American and my 1996 MiM.

I've learned alot about Strats since my original post. Did ya know that Jackson/Charvel are subsidiaries of Fender? I have a Jackson Dinky- have no idea why I bought it- must have been the Strat-like body, lol. Still undecided about how much I like it. Fast neck, but kinda wide, and I can't seem to get used to a flat fretboard. But I have an Ibanez also which has a flat fretboard, but the fretboard isn't as wide.

But I love my Fenders the most. My '75 (or '78, can't remember) Telly still screams. I love that guitar.

EDIT: I have a 2004, not a 2006 MiM. Something tells me I have too many guitars.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.