View post (Strats-Mexican vs. US made)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/15/2008 5:58 pm
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoHey Lord, question...

I went to a local hardware store and asked about line testers- there were 2 types- 1 with 2 alligator clips. Salesman told me this would tell me which line was "hot" and which was ground. Then another unit, a multimeter, which did the same, but also told me the "frequency". He didn't know what that meant, and neither do I. I've yet to find one at RadioShack where I think I'd have more choices and more knowledgeable people, so my question is, what do I do with this information, assuming these line testers do pretty much the same (both units described above have LED indicators.)

Would greatly appreciate your input on this. [/QUOTE]

[u]This[/u] is what I was talking about:

You just plug it into the outlet and see which lights come on. The chart tells you whether the line is OK or not. A good meter is a very useful thing, but there's some skill involved, and they're not convenient to carry around. I keep one of these testers in my gig bag. More than once, it has alerted me to a problem with the wiring in a club.

[QUOTE=Silimtao]btw, according to DHL tracking, I should be getting my guitar delivered to my job today :) . Can't wait to plug it in.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have on the line-testers.

I like stories with happy endings! :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons