View post (Amp Low End Gone)

View thread

Drew77
Drew77
12/24/2007 6:12 am
Hey guys. I just did some maintenance on my amp (re-soldered input and changed the tubes) and when I plugged everything back in and started playing it sounded like crap. The high end seems alright but the lows sound all farty and weak. I am really hoping that I haven't blown my speaker considering it isn't that old (I have had it for a year) and I don't play it loudly hardly ever.

I am thinking it has to be my the new tubes I put in since that is really the only thing that changed but I don't know why that would be happening. Maybe I didn't line the pins up right? there were more holes than there were pins and the old tubes pins were numbered but the new ones weren't. I aligned them the same as the old ones were though.

They are supposedly matched JJs, 6l6 tubes. I have a vk112 (peavey), and I put in a Eminence Wizard speaker. I tried playing with someone today and it blew hardcore seeing as the idea was to play aggressive music and I have no low end. But anyway.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea whats up since I don't know. Tomorrow I'll try switching my tubes back to the stock ones since they were working all right (getting worn and unreliable at high volumes but still working).

Like I said the low end is just farty and broke. very depressing sounding.