View post (shred pickin!)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
02/15/2008 9:09 pm
Originally Posted by: jamesplaysgitarhaha yes i definitely have to learn that..

i need one more thing.
3 fingers?
as in, thumb, pointer and middle?
or 2?
as in, thumb and middle,
using just my thumb and pointer is impossible
=(

You can palm the pick when necessary, to make use of all 5 of your fingers; that will take some practice and dexterity. But palming the pick to use all 5 fingers is really difficult; it's almost like the magic trick when you palm a coin to make it seems like it has disappeared, when it's actually trapped in the fold of your palm. I just tried it again, after not doing since...forever. It's easier to "hold" the pick with your pinky and use your other 4 fingers. Lenny Breau often used a thumbpick to get use out of all 5 fingers. He was never properly recorded, but he was the most amazing player I've ever met in person.

I play some ragtime with a pick- using hybrid picking; on some other ragtime stuff, I don't use a pick at all, and just use all 5 fingers, but I've grown my nails on my right hand (been working on Clap, by Steve Howe for only, oh, THIRTY SOME ODD YEARS; I hybrid pick on this tune.)

I sometimes palm the pick when I want to pluck 5 strings at the same time (again, I just tried this; I apparently don't have the dexterity I use to, so I'd say forget it- it's more practical with a thumbpick; gives you a piano kind of sound- or maybe I imagined palming it- I dunno, Lenny showed me the weirdest most impossible stuff sometimes :confused: ) Can be done with pick, and other 3 fingers also, which is what I do more often than palming the pick.

When playing lead, I often use the pick and the middle and ring finger to reach for other strings.

I don't know really quite how to answer your question other than to say, experiment, and see what you're comfortable with.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)