View post (shred pickin!)

View thread

Superhuman
Superhuman
12/31/2007 2:02 pm
I pick pretty fast myself, just had a look at my technique... I hold the pick at about -1mm from teh index finger and roll the thum back a bit to expose no more than 0.5 to 1mm for shred runs - this makes adding pinched harmonics very easy, just apply a fraction of roll to the thumb and it touches the string. Also, if you consider the plectrum parallel to the string - I lift the side that is furthest from the headstonk about 10 degrees to give a slight angle. I've looked at how I pick a number of techinques: alternate, economy and sweep picking and I hold the pick exactly the same all the time - its much easier not to have to go changing how you hold a pick halfway through a phrase just because you want to sweep the last section of an alt picked run. The more pick you show the less control you have when you turn the speed dial to the max.
Easiest way to find out what works best for you is to pick as cleanly as possible and as fast as possible on one string, move the pick around then try to drop in accents on every third or fourth to get a solid rhythm, then try to drop in pinched harmonics on the accents. There's no point being able to pick fast and clean without being able to apply pinched harmonics (eg that's not going to happen if you expose half of the plectrum when picking). Next try the same over two strings, 3 picks per string, then 4 picks per string. Forget the fingering, this is only to establish the best way for you to hold the pick to shred pick as fast as possible while still retaining 100% clarity and rhythm. Whatever works for you is what you should stick with, everyones hands, fingers, wrists, dexterity, flexibility etc are different so no one person can show you the best possible way to hold a plectrum (look at Marty Friedman's claw technique for an example!). Hope that helps.