View post (Need amp repair advice)

View thread

strat-man
strat-man
11/13/2007 4:21 pm
Originally Posted by: Drew77I don't know it's hard to believe that amps are crazy booby trapped death machines. I am not just going to be poking random things, it's unplugged. I need to tighten the input port thats it. I don't have the time or the money to take it to a shop for something this silly.

I just want to make sure that I can't break anything simply by taking the top off. The only thing I don't know about is what the problem actually is, I might not be able to fix it since I don't really know how it is put in there it could be something that requires me to replace the piece completely. If thats the case then yeah I might have to take it to a shop but before I spend a bunch of money (and time which as I've said I honestly won't have any until the end of the semester) I wanna make sure it's not some stupid screw or something that I could just tighten.

anyway, if what you said is true than it would be nice if someone tells me what not to touch in order to not die. I'm not accussing you of lying, I just think that sounds like a bit of an exaggeration or at least a fairly liberal stretch of any real danger. Like I said though I don't really know a ton (I am not completely ignorant about this stuff but I certainly have no experience with amps specifically) so I appreciate the warning. I certainly never would have thought something like that was possible.

The capacitors inside a valve amp hold 400 volts! That IS gonna hurt!!! if you don't know how to discharge capacitors correctly and safely then for your own safety don't go working inside your amp!
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox