View post (Need amp repair advice)

View thread

Drew77
Drew77
11/12/2007 8:22 pm
Hey guys,

so I have a peavey VK 112 and the input (my high gain input) port has come lose. It has gotten to the point where I can't even use it. For a while I just had to jimmy it to make the sound come out right but now (probably becasue of all the jimmy-ing) it has stopped working almost completely, the signal is cut off at like 10% maybe. So I was like "well it can't be that much of a problem I can probably fix it myself". So I started taking my amp apart... I stopped when I realized I really don't know what I am doing and I know with computers and stuff that you need to be careful about grounding everything when you are working on them, and I wasn't positive about this. I mean I know there probably isn't a lot of micro chips and such in there as its a all tube amp but I am not really even sure if once I get it open I am gonna be able to fix it.

So before I got to far I thought I would stop and make sure I wasn't over looking anything.

Is there anything I should be careful not to do? Has anyone else fixed this problem and can shed some light on what it is, I mean I am sure that once I get it open I will be able to figure it out, but it'd be nice to know what I am gonna need to avoid putting my only amp outta commission for longer than necessary.

Anyway once I got to taking it apart I realized that it is going to take a while, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.