View post (I need a new guitar. Any suggestions?)

View thread

Sasuke199
Sasuke199
11/14/2007 1:52 am
Actually the Xiphos is very comfortable to sit with and is not a V, but oh well. I certainly enjoy my Ibanez RG, Great metal tones, and for about $600 bucks you can have one of the best sounding metal guitar out there just by putting on Dimebuckers or EMGs or Evolutions. The RG is a nice body shape, and you can find them with or without the tremolo bridge. I think Ibanez makes some of the best metal guitars out there for the price, although I do like a good Les Paul with the Zakk Wylde EMGs on it, best metal guitar ever in my opinion. Also I might add that if you want to go for maybe a more straightforward Gibson type guitar with the tune-o-matic & stoptail type bridge, go for the Gibson SG special or the Faded special and upgrade the pickups to your liking. SG's are great for metal if you know what you're doing. Happy hunting!

P.S If the tremolo bridge "scares you" then for the price, I would go with one of the SG specials. The rhythm guitarist in my band has the faded one, and it sounds great, but the pickups are ugly, and could be better, so I would change those if I had your price range. And yes the Jem 555 and 777 are the Steve Vai signature (downright beautiful guitar!)