View post (Which 3 guitarists have most inspired/influenced you?)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
05/04/2008 5:15 pm
My picks change often, but for now, here's my list.

1. Roy Buchanan- made me want to buy my first "real" guitar", a 1975 or '78 white Telecaster (now yellow with age).

2. Santana- beautiful tone, melodic lines with soul (but he always disappoints me in concert, and hasn't really grown over the years.)

3. I can't pin down #3, so I'll list a bunch of players I admire and listen to:

Dickie Betts, Duane Allman, David Gilmore, Keith Richard (always overlooked as a rhythm player), Gary Moore, Chet Atkins, Henry Garza of Los Lonely Boys- he sounds like a mix of SRV, Santana & Dickie Betts to me. Oh, how can I forget Mark Knopfler- amazing player.

The "new breed" of players (for me): Zakk Wylde, and shredders who's names I don't even know. As for Satch- first read about him in Guitar Player, bought his first album (on cassette tape), didn't do anything for me- maybe I should revisit him, along with Vai, Petrucci and Malmsteen. These guys seemed to have raised the bar on speed and technique, but they don't make me feel anything in my heart. Guess I'm just an old, R&R, blues kind of guy.

And of course, Hendrix. I never tried to emulate him or play much of his stuff, but he'll always be in a class by himself, imho.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)