View post (My most challenging track so far!)

View thread

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
10/12/2007 10:53 pm
Wonderful as usual.. however I do have a few suggetions.. haha.. I always have suggestions! :D

Ok.. in the first bit where you set up the melody.. I thought may be a tapping run there, just a short one.. or something similar would have really made the intro complete.

Also I see you are forgetting to put in the rests again.. Take a song by one of your influences as an example.. "Surfing with an Alien" by Satch.. notice all the rests at the end of each section of music? there's like a half a second pause to break it up and to start the next measure/bar.. but more importantly.. in the middle there is that sort of gap in the solo and a few "fly by" sound effects play? I'll see if I can find it on YouTube.. one sec...... Ok found a live performance which is even better because you see how it helps the songs even out of the studio.. the gap happens at 2:20 in this video..

Anyway you can see gaps and pauses and stuff like that to break up the phrases of lead. Think of each phrase like a sentence with a full stop at the end, or a long sentence with commas. Every time you reach a comma or a full stop, you have to pause otherwise the phrase does not sound quite right. They're all still the same words but without the pauses, it all just rolls into one loooong sentence.

And the same paragraph with no commas or full stops:

Anyway you can see gaps and pauses and stuff like that to break up the phrases of lead think of each phrase like a sentence with a full stop at the end or a long sentence with commas every time you reach a comma or a full stop you have to pause otherwise the phrase does not sound quite right they're all still the same words but without the pauses it all just rolls into one loooong sentence.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog