View post (Paul Gilbert is the Man!)

View thread

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
10/05/2007 2:51 pm
Question 1: How do people like this slip under the radar so easily? :confused: Frankly, I don't think I have ever heard of Paul Gilbert before this thread.. Even Ygnwie is a relatively unknown.. more unknown then say.. Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Carlos Santana.. Surprisingly, not a lot of non-guitarist have heard of Steve Vai where I come from.. until of course I play them that he played in..

Question 2: How do I get harmonics to play so easily.. especially when barring the fretboard.. On this video you see him teaching a "playing 3rds" technique which he wants to make more usable.. so he does it all as harmonics instead.. When he plays it fast near the end, you can really hear that Van Halen sound coming through... it's so nice. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGsxjXpFgy0

Question 3: If I practise technique everyday.. properly, correctly and for an adequate amount of time.. is it really possible to get that fast regardless of who you are?.. I've noticed an improvement in speed since I have started practising a lot more lately but I just can't comprehend how to take it to the next level of "fastness". :)
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog