View post (I have no clue how to start writing...)

View thread

Jake48
Jake48
11/14/2007 6:55 am
i'm new to songwriting, but have been writing short fiction for years ... one of the things you can do to write ..."is to start writing" ... just take paper and pen -- paper and pen, not pc and keyboard -- and just start writing whatever is in your head ... keep writing until an idea starts to form ... or your current idea starts to gel ... make it rhyme, or fly, or whatever! just get to writing --- that's what matters.

i like blues and there are plenty of good books on blues out there ... blues are good because they can be simpler to put together ... in my opinion, anyway.

or ... try what i did recently ... i began strumming locomotive breath (tull) on my acoustic until i had it down (somewhat).. then switched up the rhythm (and tweeked the chords a little bit) to fit the lyrics (mine) i was humming and vice-versa ... it became a different song ... still needs lot's of work and tweeking, but it's a start ... i also like to take songs that i hear, that inspire my feelings about music ... and change the lyrics to my own ... then work on tweeking the chords and rhythm ...

i'm not very good at strumming and yammering out rhymes ... so i just pound it out, in different ways, until something happens ..

ya know what they say >>> writing is re-writing ... and re-writing ...etc.