View post (I have no clue how to start writing...)

View thread

looneytunes
looneytunes
10/25/2007 4:42 pm
Do you stay up all night playing your guitar? It's just a matter of what you like to do. If you like something well enough you will work at it and with a little talent and a lot of hard work you will become good at it or even great. If you don't like it, you may get by, but you will never be good. And like playing the guitar the more you learn the more enjoyment you will get from it.

Anything that's worth while is worth doing a little homework. Anything new has a learning process to go through. Nobody is good at something without a little training, self-discipline, and a lot of dedication.

So, do you want to write songs that people sing in the shower, songs that people can't get out of their head, songs that will be aired long after you and I are gone, songs that make people stop and feel what you felt when you wrote it, songs that make people laugh and cry, songs that are used in movies and commericals, and so on and so on? Or do you just want to write a song that you can post on at website and have someone say, "Hey man, that's pretty good!"?

I wrote some good songs over the years (and some bad ones) and you are right to a certain degree. It seems the good songs (lyrics) took only about 20 mins or so to write. I have some that I have never finished. It all comes from inspiration and inspiration comes from everywhere and nowhere. If you are inspired, but cannot put a rhyme together or put your feelings into words, then what good is inspiration? Inspiration doesn't write the song for you.

I have never stayed up all night to write a song, but I have woke during the night with a title, topic, line, or tune in my head. That is why I keep a notepad next to my bed.

So, it up to you. Do you really want to write songs?