View post (Buying an acoustic)

View thread

rhythm
rhythm
09/10/2007 1:05 am
Sophie, I know you want to stick around 200 max but................ There is a guitar called the Tanglewood TW15-ns which you can get for £290 on the net in the UK. I wanted to spend the same as you but I stretched my budget to get it because I wanted to love the sound and not just enjoy it. See, the main thing to look out for on a good acoustic is solid wood instead of ply. You want to at least get a solid wood top acoustic as this really improves the tone and if you can, get an all solid wood acoustic for the best sound.

You can get a solid top for under £200, but generally an all solid costs £500-600+. For some reason the TW15 is different and is solid Spruce top and solid Mahogany back and sides. I bought mine a couple of months ago. I walked into my guitar store and the guy there gave me the pepsi challenge, he played me stairway to heaven on a Martin D-18 and on the Tanglewood he told me to close my eyes and see if I could tell the difference. I did pick out the Martin and it did sound better, but only very very slightly, like 10%, but the Martin costs about £1500.

All I say is, check it out. Its the Tanglewood TW15-NS Sundance Pro. Google some reviews, but importantly, go and test one in a store next to an all solid Martin or a Taylor, if you cant play just feel it in your hands and get one of the shop blokes to play for you. It is the best value acoustic going in my opinion and if you can stretch that little bit more on the budget you will be getting a really nice advanced guitar and you wont have to wonder what you might sound like on an all solid body.

I have to say, this is all just my opinion, there will be a right guitar for you and you will feel if when you hold it. The Tanglewood was that guitar for me, but may not be for you. good luck!