View post (Natural talent)

View thread

ren
ren
08/29/2007 7:20 pm
I'm not sure about natural ability on guitar. Maybe because I'm not sure I have it.

There must be some sort of direction we are all born with or have nurtured in us at at early age. I played the recorder, cello, piano and xylophone before I got to a guitar. I think I have an aptitude for music but the guitar was work in the first instance - the desire always made things 'click' quickly though.

I knew a guy in my teens who was crazy good on the guitar and had what I would call a natural talent. The guy could improvise over a complex backing with a confidence at the age of 15 that I am only approaching after 20+ years of playing. He gave up before we got to 20 and now still doesn't play 10 years on. I think because it was natural to him he found nothing special in it or about it. I have to work at it, so when I nail a phrase I feel it and it drives me on.

Desire and practice can certainly make up for natural ability. Whatever you are born with, it's the desire (or even need) to build on it that makes a musician.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com