View post (Rhoads Vs. Halen)

View thread

trebledamage
trebledamage
12/05/2001 2:17 am
To compare Van Halen and Randy Rhoads on a talent level is really kind of pointless. They were both talented innovative guitar players. However, if you take a look at what their arrival onto the music scene meant to music, I would argue that Van Halen spawned the whole 80's heavy metal era (with the exception of punk based metal), while Randy Rhoads was merely a very bright spot during that era. Before Eddie Van Halen, I think you would be hard pressed to find a guitarist who would have been characterized as a shredder. I don't think that the whole shredder concept was even in existence before Van Halen arrived on the scene. (Not to take anything away from guys like Hendrix or Beck--incredible guitar players, but never characterized as shredders), Plus Eddie brought the whole hammer-on, pull-off, tapping concept to the forefront of electric guitar. No one was doing what he was doing on the guitar prior to his arrival on the scene. However, I think you can argue that Van Halen also spawned bands, such as Poison, Bon Jovi, Warrant and White Lion, just to name an unpleasant few. That alone earns Randy a big point in his favor. Also, Randy Rhoads never completely sold out, unlike Van Halen, who tried to peddle Gary Cheronne as the next best thing since sliced bread. Shame on you Eddie !!!
:cool: