View post (Total Newbie at Computer Recording)

View thread

Buoy
Buoy
08/19/2007 11:28 pm
Greetings,

I'm a professional software developer (usually business applications) and hobbyist guitar player. I have a friend who's a luthier - bass guitars. We've been building his web site, and I've got two things I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

1 - He wants to add some audio to his site. That is, him playing the bass. I know I can record this via my microphone, but we're worried about the good sound. I think we'd like a direct line in. Can I just buy an adapter that goes from the 1/4" guitar cable and then sticks in to the computer's microphone jack? This dude would prefer the total clean sound, so I don't need to be messing with the clean tone.

2 - He's going to have a booth at the NAMM show this January and asked if I would go along. What he wants me to do is set up a deal where we can record audio and video of guitarists playing his stuff and then put up on his web site later. I think we could buy or rent a camcorder, but I'm not sure how to make sure the audio is real clean quality. He would prefer better audio over the video, if that makes a difference.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Buoy