View post (Gibson Les Paul Classic (Triple Pickup))

View thread

07/27/2007 2:28 am
This is quite a coincidence ...

My main guitar is a Gibson SG left handed turned upside down to a right handed lol

When I bought it I just changed the strings and played it as a righty for a couple of years ... then someone asked me if I ever got it setup correctly (intonations and everything)... I didn't even know back then that you could actually setup a guitar at all :)

I went back to the store and paid so they could set it up for me. They changed the nut also.

You kinda get used to having the knobs on top but it does come with it's problems. Your hand is actually picking at a certain angle since you have to clear the knobs with your forearm. What this does it that your other fingers (not those holding the pick) tend to get closer to the strings and so you often make more noise and have to be careful.

The pickguard is also a problem, the body of the guitar is now unprotected from pick attacks.

It is also more difficult to play the higher frets since the top cutaway is deeper. So you end up getting your hand stuck between the neck and the cutaway. Hopefully i'm clear enough here. Kinda hard to describe what I want to say :) There's less room for your hand.

I bought mine because it was a real good deal.

Hope this helps you take your decision. And I'd take the 2 years warranty, most factory problem should have appeared after 2 years (it will have seen enough humidity and temperature changes over 2 years for you to spot any problems with it).

P.S.: I so don't understand why they call this one a LP ... it's an SG... an SG I say!!! ;)