View post (Gibson Les Paul Classic (Triple Pickup))

View thread

pythonusr
pythonusr
07/27/2007 12:44 am
I have a few questions. I recently went to a guitar store near to my house, looking for a new guitar (obviously). My most recent purchase was an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. I hated the guitar, but I loved the pickups and tone, so I've decided to look for another Les Paul.

The store has two guitars that are essentially this:
http://weatherfish.com/audio/guitars/gibson_lpcustom.jpg

A triple pickup Gibson Les Paul Classic.

Now, about the guitar, I have a few questions for anyone who has experience with the guitar:

1) How are they? I mean with three pickups and everything. How's the tone on them?

2) I happen to be a left-handed guitar player. These guitars happen to be right-handed. What I am planning on doing is removing all 6 strings and changing the nut to a lefty nut, then restringing it upside down. Does anyone have any experience with this? Has anyone here ever done that with a right-handed guitar? How annoying would the controls be to my strumming hand if I were to do this?

3) The guitar looks like an SG, but it's an LP. What does this signify or mean to the guitarist/model? When I first picked it up I thought it was in fact a Gibson SG, but when I looked behind the body of the guitar, it said "Gibson Les Paul Classic."

4) And my final question is this: The guitar itself costs $380, with a 60 day warranty. For $410 I get an extended 1 year warranty, and for $430 I get an extended two year warrenty. The guitar is used. Which plan would you suggest me getting if I were in face going to purchase this guitar?

Thank you in advance. Answers to any of my questions would be greatly appreciated.

-- Alex