View post (Restoring my old Camaro...)

View thread

HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
07/17/2007 4:46 pm
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsNever heard of it. But I can tell you a few things about stuffing a 454 rat into a Camaro.

You will need to replace front suspension components frequently. A big-block puts way more stress on the shocks, ball jointss, and tie-rod ends than they were meant to handle.

It will be a pig to steer. With the front/rear weight ratio skewed so far forward, understeer will be your constant companion. Unless you power-drift every corner. Which will be very easy to do with so much power and such a relatively light rear end. Which brings me back to "It will be a pig to steer"...

I depends on whether you want to build a straight-line car, or a well balanced package that can run hard and fast on raods that have bends in them. One of the sweetest rides from my youth was a buddy's plain-wrapper 'sleeper' that had a very healthy 302 6-pack in it. Over 300 hp, and 50/50 front/rear weight ratio. Quick, fast, and agile.

You know, I never considered how the extra weight of the big block would affect the handling. I knew I would have to re-do the front suspension (gonna re-do the rear suspension also). You just gave me a lot to think about......

By the way, I found that the 348 I have is the 250 HP version. I may go back to my original idea and build up a 327 for it. I want to stay clear of a 350 although that's kind of the standard. I want something different in the camaro......
Check out my band:
Havoc Din