tapping pickups

troutmask
troutmask
10/17/2001 1:36 am
What does the term "with the pickup TAPPED " mean?

guitartalk@excite.com
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
10/17/2001 2:19 pm
well, for what I know, it means that you tap with your right hand using one of your pickup as a vitual fret...
Vai does it, it sounds like a very high pitch. Ron thal uses a thimble to recreate a virtual fret, while hellecasters Will ray has a stealth slide on his right middle finger, allowing him to shorten the string while pulling off with his right hand, it sounds like a whammy pedal, but it's cheaper!!!
# 2
Hootayah
Hootayah
10/17/2001 2:57 pm
Or somebody just misspelled the word "taped"
Hey you kids! Get outta that Jello tree!! :mad:
# 3
troutmask
troutmask
10/18/2001 12:43 pm
Thanks for the reply! I will try it. I asked the people from PRS if they had a guitar with 2 sounds - Gibson humbuck and Fender Tele. They said "maybe the Dragon with the pickup tapped!???? Maybe they mean something else??
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/18/2001 7:33 pm
This usually refers to a wire brought out from the connection between the two coils of a humbucker. The 4-wire versions bring all the wires out where you can hook them up any way you want to.

By connecting the two coils in series, you get the hot, 'chunky' sound, that is typical of humbuckers.

Parallel connection provides a lower output voltage, and the sound usually has a bit more clarity.

Both of these connections retain the hum rejection feature of the humbucker.

One of the coils can be shorted out, leaving the other one active. This produces something closer to the sound of a Strat or Tele type pickup, but loses hum rejection.

[Edited by Lordathestrings on 10-18-2001 at 10:09 PM]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
troutmask
troutmask
10/21/2001 1:59 am
Originally posted by Lordathestrings
This usually refers to a wire brought out from the connection between the two coils of a humbucker. The 4-wire versions bring all the wires out where you can hook them up any way you want to.

By connecting the two coils in series, you get the hot, 'chunky' sound, that is typical of humbuckers.

Parallel connection provides a lower output voltage, and the sound usually has a bit more clarity.

Both of these connections retain the hum rejection feature of the humbucker.

One of the coils can be shorted out, leaving the other one active. This produces something closer to the sound of a Strat or Tele type pickup, but loses hum rejection.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yEAH, I want my next guitar to have a combination of different sounds on it. I like the old Tele sound and also the PRS Santana sound with sustain pedal/big muff

[Edited by Lordathestrings on 10-18-2001 at 10:09 PM]

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.