View post (Gibson SG Faded Special)

View thread

rhythm
rhythm
07/06/2007 2:00 pm
Yeah, I know what you mean about feeling the guitar, but value for money is independant of that. I started a thread a couple of days ago about a Martin guitar vs. a Tanglewood guitar. Both solid top back and sides £1200 difference and very minor sound difference. I didnt need to hold either to know which one was the better value.

I got to say guitars are weird to talk about in terms of money. Any guitar is a rip off as when you strip it down its just an piece of wood. I know that a lot of research and trial and error goes into it, but they are not the most technically complex items in the world and have not changed much in decades. The actual cost of a Les Paul to Gibson has got to be sub $100 I would imagine. BUT any guitar is great value in terms of what it gives the player. I just compare it to photography. I used to be a professional photographer and I would spend $2000 easy on a pro grade lens that would only alow me to do a small part of my job. I could buy a guitar for that price that would last me a lifetime and would never need upgrading. Guitar all the way! :cool: