View post (Analog vs. Digital)

View thread

da_ardvark
da_ardvark
06/08/2007 10:58 pm
For $$ reasons I use digital. When I think of analog recording, I'm not thinking of cheap (yes the all have sucky electronics) 4 or 8 track cassette recorders. To me analog means a 2" studer reel to reel. This media for these machines are very very expensive. Yes you can erase magnetic tape, yes you can push mag tape and "saturate" it and get some nice warmth. But let's face it most of us record to get ideas down and build songs. You can't beat digital. It's friggin CHEAP. And if done properly yeilds results that rival mag tape. I don't know what kind of problems Gargy waas having but I get stellar results. Save you pennies, ditch the 4 or 8 track cassette, and invest in a good multi-input soundcard, get a decent mixing board, and learn to use the digital recording software of your choice (Sonar, Cubase, ProTools) There are some great free recording packages out there such as Audacity or reaper. I can't speak to these as I've never used them.

The biggest problem most people have when making the change from analog tape to digital is with analog you CAN push the levels and still get decent (sometimes better) results. With digital, once you hit 0 dB you have massive distortion. You need to learn to set up the gain in each part of the chain so that you never ever hit distortion. It;s not all that complicated, it just takes a little getting used to.