View post (Jolly is about 3/4 done with this story and would like some help)

View thread

acapella
acapella
05/31/2007 7:21 pm
Okay, so your point here is that something like the monomyth doesn't work in reality. So he accepts the call to adventure to go buy the carrots. And then he hits the trial of wanting to buy turnips instead. If he can't decide, I guess that would mess up the monomyth in that he can't achieve his goal. And that would prove your point. What I'm not sure I understand is if he DOES buy the carrots, what would be the lesson learned? Unless there would be no lesson learned, and therefore no lesson to apply, which would also render the monomyth useless, although that would probably be harder to show, so therefore it would be easier to just have him unable to decide. Because if, for example, he buys the carrots and wishes he'd bought turnips, he would learn the lesson that he should buy what he intends to, and he could easily apply that lesson, and then the monomyth would have worked, in a sense. So I guess the best thing to do is have him unable to decide, rather than have him buy anything. Again though, I don't know a great deal about this, but if I understand it correctly that's my take on it.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.