View post (Jolly is about 3/4 done with this story and would like some help)

View thread

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
05/31/2007 2:48 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonYou should be unsure as to why. Joseph wants to fit a certain mold of cliches. Look at him needing to wake up with an alarm buzz, for example. He has a strong attraction to cliche and predictability. The nagging wife is just an archetype he can't let go. She's in the story to show that things like the monomyth and archetypes just don't hold up in reality. Nothing can be reduced to a mere series of steps in the hero's journey. That's why I'm not sure if I should end it here or have Joe buy the carrots.

Yeah, okay. That makes sense. Now that I've read your post, I can see what you're going for. I think I might have him buy the carrots and then berate himself (as expected from himself- no?) for following through on an action he was fool enough to think he was going to avoid.

If I were writing it, I would have him carrying the carrots all the way to the cashier and in his head, he would still be having the argument against buying them. You know, how some times were will sit there and tell ourselves we are not going to do something while we're doing it.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]